Facebook is a fantastic place to keep in touch with friends and family without physically being in the same space. Like Twitter or Instagram, Facebook has become an integral part of our daily life, as it is a great platform that allows you to keep up to date with the lives of your friends and loved ones.
However, online media like this has a downside: it gives stalkers easy access to your personal information and activities. We know all too well about malicious activity online, and many people have seen strangers constantly checking their profiles or stealing their photos to create fake or fake accounts.
To try to prevent or minimize this, Facebook has launched a new feature called Facebook Profile Lock. As the name suggests, this feature gives you more control over your profile privacy. If you are a private person and don’t want strangers to look at your Facebook profile, Profile Lock will ensure that users you are not friends with will not see any details about you.
However, not everyone knows that this feature exists, while others do not know how to configure it. This article will provide you with simple steps to help you lock your Facebook profile. Whether you’re using Android, iOS, or using Facebook’s mobile website, we’ve got you covered.
How does this feature work?
The new profile lock feature is basically Facebook introducing better security measures. By enabling this feature, users limit access to their profile, especially to those they are not friends with on the platform. Once your profile is locked, people who aren’t on your friends list won’t be able to see your posts, photos and stories.
If you’ve had public posts in the past, the feature will automatically change the privacy setting to Friends. Not only that, but it will also automatically enable tag and timeline review options. Both of these options ensure that your tagged photos will not be automatically reflected in your account. Instead, these messages will first require your permission.
Now that you have a better understanding of how this feature works, it’s time to learn how to enable it.
How to Lock Your Facebook Profile on Android and iOS
If you have the Facebook app on your Android or iOS device, locking your profile will only take a few minutes. Here’s what you need to do:
- Launch your Facebook app and go to your profile.
- From there, tap on the menu represented by three dots. It should be located next to “Add to History”.
- You will find the “Lock profile” option in this three-dot menu. Tap on it and you will be redirected to the Lock Profile page.
- Select the “Lock your profile” option to confirm your decision.
After confirmation, your Facebook profile will be successfully locked. If you’re ready to be less private on your profile, you can unblock it by following the same steps.
How to Lock Your Facebook Profile on Your Browser
If you don’t have the Facebook app or typically use the platform on a mobile or desktop browser, you can still lock your profile without issue. Here’s how:
- On your mobile or desktop browser of choice, go to www.facebook.com and log in to your account.
- Go to your profile page.
- Tap the three-dot menu as in the previous steps above.
- Select the “Lock profile” options.
- You’ll see a pop-up message explaining what the feature does to make sure you fully understand what you’re doing.
- Once you’re sure of your decision, tap the “Lock your profile” button at the bottom. This will immediately prevent your profile from being seen by strangers.
Steps to unlock your Facebook profile
If you no longer want to lock your profile, Facebook also allows you to unlock it whenever you want. To unlock your Facebook profile, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Facebook app on your smartphone or go to the Facebook website if you’re using a browser.
- Go to your profile and tap on the three-dot menu.
- From there, you will see an option to “Unlock Profile”. Tap this option to see a pop-up message confirming your decision.
- Tap “Unlock profile” again to confirm.