WANT to increase the security of your Facebook profile, so that only your friends can see your timeline?
If so, it can be done easily by following these simple steps.
How to Lock Facebook Profile on App
Many of us spend an inordinate amount of time on social media these days, and protecting your privacy online is vital.
It can be too easy to fall victim to scams or share more information publicly than intended.
Luckily, on Facebook, it’s possible to lock your profile and give yourself a bit of extra protection.
The feature is not available everywhere and it is only possible to lock them in certain countries, including the United Kingdom.
By locking your Facebook profile, you can limit what is visible to strangers.
This means that only your friends will be able to see your timeline, full-size profile picture, and cover photo.
Timeline review and tag review, which allow you to approve posts you’ve been tagged in before they appear on your timeline, will be enabled.
Additionally, any posts you previously posted as “Public” will now only be available to your friends, just like Stories, and only some of your About information will be visible.
To lock your profile, follow these steps:
- 1) Launch the app on your phone or tablet
- 2) Tap on the three horizontal lines (these will be top right for Android and bottom right for iPhone and iPad)
- 3) Open your profile and tap the three dots next to the “Edit profile” button
- 4) You will now be in profile settings, where there is an option to “lock profile”
- 5) Select this and you are done
How to Lock Facebook Profile on Website
It’s also very easy to change your account to private on desktop, but the steps are slightly different.
Just open your browser and follow these steps:
- Go to the Facebook site
- Sign into your account
- Click on your name in the upper right corner to open your profile
- Click on the dots next to “Edit Profile”
- A drop-down menu will appear, click on “Lock profile”
- A window will open giving you the option to lock it, click on it and your account will be locked
- You can close this window by clicking “OK”
How to Unblock Your Facebook Profile
If you want to go back and unlock your profile, it couldn’t be easier.
For the app and on the website, you just need to follow the steps outlined above and select “Unlock Profile” instead.
To do this on the app, launch it on your phone or tablet, tap the three horizontal lines again to open your profile, then tap the three dots again next to the “Edit profile” button.
In profile settings there will now be an option to “Unlock Profile”
For desktop, log in to your account again, click your name again in the upper right corner to open your profile.
Next, click on the dots next to “Edit profile” to open the drop-down menu.
Then click Unlock Profile, then Unlock, then Unlock Profile when you’re done.
Then all you have to do is click OK to close the window.