Many Facebook users started updating their profile pictures to support Ukraine after the Russian invasion of the Eastern European country. A small Ukrainian flag can be overlaid on your existing profile picture and it’s very easy to do.
It follows Russian troops closing in as Ukraine says at least 137 civilians and soldiers were killed yesterday – the first day of the invasion – as residents are told to take shelter in bunkers.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky delivered a national address this morning (February 25) in which he confirmed that several Russian strikes had hit the capital as well as other parts of the country earlier in the day. He said: “We have information that enemy sabotage groups have entered Kyiv. Therefore, I urge the people of Kyiv to be careful and observe the curfew rules.”
Read more: Bristol Nights campaign aims to end sexual harassment of women
People around the world have been keen to share their support for Ukraine, including on a local level with a demonstration of support scheduled for tomorrow at College Green in Bristol. Netizens updated their profile pictures on Facebook to show their solidarity.
We’ve put together some simple steps on how you can update your Facebook profile picture to include a Ukrainian flag overlay.
How to add a flag to your profile picture
1) Go to the Facebook Profile Picture Frames feature page by clicking here.
Read more: Bristol expert warns of ‘significant losses’ in Russian invasion of Ukraine
2) Select the Ukrainian flag from the list of options. This can be done by typing Ukraine in the search field, or if your friends are already using this option, it may already appear at the top of the list.
3) Adjust the positioning of your profile picture. You can zoom in for a closer crop if you like.
4) Choose how long you want the overlay flag to last. You can vary it between an hour, a day, a week, etc., or keep it indefinitely.
5) Click “Use as profile picture”
Want our top stories with fewer ads and alerts when the biggest news drops? Download our app at iPhone Where android
Read more: ‘Stand with Ukraine’ demonstration in support planned for College Green